What a year at the Park!
- The 1818 Powder Magazine got a new roof! (August)
- We hosted a summer of yoga, concerts, dance, children’s activities and Bread & Puppet that over 1,300 people enjoyed! (June-August.)
- DCR and the City of Cambridge funded landscape plans for the western part of the park (Phase 2, August & September).
- Common Boston brought Common Build, a design/build competition to Magazine Beach (October).
- DCR held a public meeting about bringing a “spray deck”/water feature for children to the park (October).
- Our exhibit, Magazine Beach—A Place Apart, opened at Cambridge Arts, at 344 Broadway (November 2014-February 2015). See review in Art Fuse.
And coming soon, at the exhibition at Cambridge Arts!
- Memory Party: Saturday, Jan. 31,12-3pm. Do you have a memory of swimming or picnicking or just hanging out in the park? Share it over lunch with us. These recollections will add to the story of the park and we’ll share them with the landscape designers—working to update the western part of the park in 2015!
- Dessert Café: Monday, Feb. 2, 6-8pm. With remarks by Charles Sullivan of the Cambridge Historical Commission, Renata von Tscharner of the Charles River Conservancy, and Tom Reece of the DCR. Co-hosted by Cambridge Arts, the Cambridgeport Neighborhood Assn., Cambridge Historical Society, Cambridge Historical Commission, Charles River Conservancy, and the Riverside Boat Club.
- Community Potluck: Monday, Feb. 23, 6-8pm, with bluegrass by Best Ever Chicken All are welcome. Bring a dish to share. Co-hosted by the Cambridgeport and Riverside Neighborhood Associations.
All events are free, open to the public, and at the City Hall Annex at 344 Broadway. Gallery 344 is open Monday, 8:30am-8pm; Tuesday-Thursday, 8:30am-5pm; and Friday, 8:30-12noon.
For an overview of our accomplishments in 2014, see this CCTV program with Renata von Tscharner. Have patience: only the first 5 minutes are garbled!
Because of all of our efforts, Magazine Beach is looking better. Thank you for your financial support and for sharing your time and talents to move this project forward. To make a tax-deductible donation, see our home page!
So Grateful, Cathie Zusy for the Magazine Beach Committee, CNA